Background: the rise of Digital Twins
The Internet of Things (IoT) and Digital Twins are on the rise. Gartner has named Digital Twins as one of the top ten strategic technology trends. Gartner expects 21 billion IoT endpoints by 2020, and a 35% annual growth rate in years to come.
Industry and society at large are eager to adopt new innovative solutions that will deliver insight and understanding providing real and tangible value to end users. The real challenge, which is how to embrace the new opportunities - this lies ahead of us. Join in to this Hackathon as a Student or as a Mentor for a team of Students.
Hackathon event description
- This is a 24h Hhackathon” application development competition in 5 locations
- You will be part of a team that will compete against teams from other Nordic universities
- During those 24h, your team will design, build and launch solutions that enable new insight, understanding and decision support related to the operations of large-scale industrial assets.
- This event will let you learn and gain experience of a state-of-the-art cloud-based development platform from SAP
- Your team will have access to information, models and data from a real, operative wind turbine
Team composition and competence
- BSc or MSc students, typically in engineering/ICT subjects, but also other study tracks are relevant as team members
- Teams can have 3-6 members. There can be 3 teams from each university.
- At least some of the team members should have basic skills in software system development and computer programming. Its beneficial if a team member has skills in user interface design
- In addition, the following competencies is likely to be relevant:
- Engineering and structural analysis
- Data science, machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Project management/team management
- Economics and business process development
- Innovation and creative design, communication
- A data set from the wind power industry will be provided. This data set will cover:
- Description and 3D model data for a specific wind turbine installation
- Time series data from sensors installed on the turbine
- Time series data related to other operating parameters (power production, wind speed and direction, etc.)
- A running instance of a digital twin of the wind turbine, with corresponding digital twin output data
- Your solution might comprise many different aspects. For example, you can include:
- Innovative ways to monitor the wind turbine operations, using text, plots, 3D models, etc.
- New insights into operations using data analysis, machine learning or artificial intelligence, or by engineering analysis methods
- Connection to social media to support business processes and communication
SAP cloud platform - educational material
Before the event, you will receive a package containing easily accessible educational material relevant for the Hackathon event, including documentation, tutorials, videos, etc. SAP products and technologies to be used will comprise the following:
- build.me - web-based platform for designing enterprise apps, from simple sketches to interactive mock-ups (see: https://www.build.me ). This includes an extensive gallery of configurable UI components and tools
- SAP Analytics Cloud – develop solutions for business intelligence based on predictive analytics and machine learning technology
- SAP Web IDE
Thus, the overall solution might be a mix of components, where some are developed from scratch, some are simple outlines/mock-ups and some re-use existing or slightly modified components.
- You will compete against the other teams to develop the best overall solution. The teams will be judged in the same manner independent of team size.
- There will be an award for the winning team. There will also be a secondary award for the most collaborative team.
- The evaluation panel will comprise judges from SAP, academia and professional industry experts
- The judging criteria will be:
- Originality and creativity of idea(s) (25%)
- Potential business value, both short term and long term (25%)
- Technological quality, with focus on new and emerging developments (25%)
- Cooperative ability, team spirit and willingness to help
- Overall quality of solution
- The final evaluation will be based on:
- The "video" recorded by the team. Judges will be located in all 5 locations and judgment therefore independent of Face2Face contact.
- But also on a deep review of the final solution from each team, as well as the video “pitching” session.
- Thinking out of the box will be rewarded
- Value creating collaboration within and across sites will be rewarded.
- Each team makes a pitch “sell-in” video with a maximum length of 4 minutes to present their solution.
This video will be seen, evaluated and voted on by the panel of judges.
The video should contain the following three elements as a demo with "voice over":
- Solution concept – area of usage and what the solution is to be used for. (why and when should this solution be used)
- The target group for the solution. (who will benefit from using it)
- The benefits of the solution to the target group (what will be saved by using this solution)
- Selfie of the development team
The total number of votes is the decisive factor
Location and Time
16 mar 11:00 - 17 mar 14:00
Prosjektledelse, IT og HANA